In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, by default workbooks are saved as Excel Workbooks (.xlsx). You can easily change the default file format to Excel 97-2003 (.xls). This is a great solution for Excel 2007 users who frequently share workbooks with others who are still using an earlier version of Microsoft Excel. You can still save your workbooks in any supported format but you will save time and frustration if your default ‘Save As’ format is the one you use most frequently.
- Click the Microsoft Office button;
- Click Excel Options button;
- Select the Save category and for the first option. ‘Save files in this format‘, click the Excel 97-2003 (.xls) format.
Please note that…
- All new workbooks will be saved in the default file format unless you choose a different format in the Save As dialog box when you save a workbook.
- Previously saved workbooks will be saved in the format that they had previously been saved in.
- Some Excel 2007-specific features and formatting will not be saved with the earlier file format
Learning better ways for working with Microsoft Excel 2007 (and earlier versions) has been made easier with Spreadsheet Tips From An Excel Addict, a FREE weekly newsletter available at The Excel Addict.